Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. ~Eph. 5:1, 2

Sunday, October 17, 2010

When Life Brings Change

I cried the other night, deep sobs of tears that flowed down my face and dripped from the end of my nose. My sweet husband hugged me and asked me what was wrong. "Nothing," I replied, in which he said, "I don't believe you." After my sniveling had settled down, we had a good long talk to uproot the meaning behind the tears. And it was, of course, change. We recently graduated our last child and he moved away.  Our oldest just got engaged and will marry this coming April; more change. Our middle child will graduate from college this May and plans to move away; again more change. Our house is now empty of the pattering of children's feet we had enjoyed for the past 24 years. Which brings me to my question: How do we handle change? How do we handle change in a godly way?

I am reminded of what Paul says in Philippians chapter four where he speaks on contentment. He says, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstance...I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation...I can do everything through Him (Jesus) who gives me strength."

This is my new circumstance, whether I like it or not, I have, like Paul, a new opportunity to be content and look back on what I am thankful for. We raised three children who are all serving the Lord. Our daughter is getting ready to marry a godly man and begin establishing a home rooted on the foundations of Jesus Christ. I have a wonderful godly husband to grow old with. 

How do you handle change? Do you find yourself upset or angry over changes that have occurred? Did you lose your job? Did you miscarry a child? Did your husband or boyfriend leave you? Change in our lives is often painful and not easily dealt with. A dear friend of mine lost her husband a little over a year ago. He was hit head on by a drunk driver. The drunk lived, and her husband was killed instantly...change. Her life was forever altered. What about growing old together? What about seeing his grandkids for the first time? Gone. Life had and would be forever changed for my dear friend. She could have allowed that change to make her bitter, angry at God for taking her husband in the prime of his life. But she didn't. She sought the Lord. Poured deep into His word. Found comfort in her Savior. It hasn't been easy, in fact, it has been very, very difficult. But she told me that she relies on God's promise that His grace is sufficient for this day and through that day she learns to be content in the one who gives her life. 



2 comments:

  1. play bazaar

    play bazaar

    play bazaar
    Quality roof contractors carry insurance that covers accidents should one happen on your roof. If a contractor doesn't have insurance, you will have to cover any damages out of your own pocket. Ask for this information and contact that insurance company to see if they can verify it.
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  2. They question what happens if the item or service really doesn't fit their needs. Promoting your return policy helps build trust with the potential buyer. With it, they know that potential buyer's remorse is no longer part of the equation. satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete