Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. ~Eph. 5:1, 2

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fear Not

I was in Seattle this past weekend, along with my husband, Scott. We love to travel long distances that bring about concentrated time to talk about life, read, and enjoy the beauty along the way. Okay, I must confess, it is much easier to appreciate the beauty on the west side of the state, than in the middle between Washtucna and Ellensburg, especially when we drive past the giant windmills and feel like we've arrived on another planet!

Scott attended the Christian Musician's Summit and I had a fun-filled weekend shopping for a wedding dress with our daughter. Today we all joined up at Mars Hill Church in downtown Seattle to listen to pastor Mark Driscoll. Do you ever have one of those Sundays when you feel like God is speaking directly to you, and the whole reason the sermon is being preached is because of you? It was one of those Sundays.

Mark preached on fear and anxiety. He preached out of Luke 12:32 that says, "Fear Not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom." He asked us specifically what we feared. Do you fear financial stability? Remaining single or married? Do you fear miscarriage, or your children dying? How about your health, being diagnosed with cancer, or other ailments? There are so many things in this life to fear, and yet God says over and over in his word to Fear Not. He went on and talked about how our fears bring about anxiety in our lives. Again, God calls us to be anxious about nothing. Have you ever tried that? Sometimes I think anxious is my middle name! 


When I was listening to the sermon today I was very convicted over the fact that fear in many ways has become my god. I fear for my children's safety as they live their lives apart from us. I fear for my health as my mother and all her sisters have battled breast cancer; when will it be me? I sometimes awaken in the middle of the night fearing I won't be able to accomplish all the tasks required of me for the following day. I am being brutally honest with you all, I have had a real problem with fear in my life. I have come to the realization that fear has been seated on the throne and not God. In 1 Peter 5: 6, 7 it says, "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you." We are not called to live a life of fear. Fear really shows a lack of trust. If God will feed the ravens and clothe the lilies, will he not take care even more those he dearly loves?


As my convictions led to repentance, I prayed that I would be daily reminded to put my trust in the only one who saves, Jesus Christ, and let him remain seated on the throne and "not fear". For I am called to Fear Not! Here is the link if you would like to listen to the sermon. http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/luke/jesus-and-anxiety

2 comments:

  1. Only consider hiring roofers who are able to supply you with proof of an active license and licenses.
    satta king

    satta king Get several quotes from different contractors before hiring one. There are contractors out there that will try to gouge their clients. To steer clear of rip-offs, check the market before you decide who to hire.

    satta king

    ReplyDelete
  2. By giving genealogists access to the Internet right where they are working the cities providing the WiFi are meeting a very important need. satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete